Monday, April 23, 2012

DIY campaign style 2012...

it's the most important campaign and election year in this country's history. 
but really, who cares.
i'm more interested in what my dresser is wearing.  that is, my campaign-style dresser.  i have loved these dressers for a long time and almost fell over when our friends, the Alberts, decided to give us their worn and weary campaign dresser that was doubling as a TV stand.  they were moving to a small apartment in new york, and we were moving into an empty house in the burbs. 
so it sat for a few months in our garage while we were painting the dining room, the dining room, the dining room and again with the office, the office, the office.  my poor wrists needed a break from high-gloss paint.
then, i saw a price tag on a Kate Spade bag and fell in love...with the color of the tag.  it was such a rich Kermit green color, Miss Piggy would swoon.
then, i saw this on Pinterest from some unknown but fabulous magazine and was completely inspired to move ahead with my green.  honestly, it was meant to be:


and lo and behold, someone else had my green campaign dresser idea, down to the turquoise accents! (sometimes, i just hate pinterest for proving none of my ideas are original.)


and here's a beautiful, real campaign dresser that really needs no paint at all.  the real deals were made to travel with British naval officers like suitcases back in the day.

and a cutie bedside table painted in high-gloss white.

and another great bedside version in my runner-up color of dark grey.

so here's my original, "before" picture.  i forgot to take one before all the drawers were out with their hardware removed, oops. it's hard to tell, but the dresser had a dated vaneer finish.  very 1975. andy is much more excited about that honda lawnmower in the background.  vroom.


but after four coats of paint and a hot saturday morning, i'm very excited about my green campaign dresser, which is now hanging out in the guest room instead of the garage.  and it was only $14.98, thanks to the Alberts and a quart of Behr paint!  (the tag matched Basil Green from Benajamin Moore, which I had replicated at Home Depot. it's really not as flourescent green as it looks in the pics, thanks to my iphone camera!)

say hello to kermie!








3 comments:

  1. You rock the bold colors...I love the makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you sand it before you painted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I sanded it with a fine grit sandpaper, particularly the top which had a few scuffs and scratches.

    ReplyDelete